become involved using a FRS radio, follow these steps:
- Read though the information that is presented on this
- If you don't have a radio, or your radio is lacking in power,
procure a pair of FRS radios according to the recommendations on the Radios
- See who in your immediate neighborhood has an FRS radio and
test using a channel in the 1-7 range.
- Find out if there is a ham radio operator close enough to you
to receive your transmissions. In our area, the ham will operate on Channel 19.
Check the Town Information page for known ham/FRS operators.
- You may wish to purchase a GMRS radio and license. If a
neighborhood group is using FRS radios, it is advisable for at least one person
to have a higher power GMRS radio.
- Take a SKYWARN training class and become a weather spotter.
These sessions are 2 hours in length and are offered in this area by the Gray
office of the National Weather Service. Locally, these are usually done through
the Knox County Emergency Management Agency at their office in Rockland. You
may also be able to find a session that better matches your schedule through